Saturday, November 5, 2011

Peripety and Prayer


Peripety

Studying the book of Esther with my life group this fall is just what God had planned as part of my preparation for Rwanda. I had chosen the study prior to knowing about the trip. No surprise, God knew.
One of the concepts we have studied in Esther is peripety; it is defined as sudden change/reversal of events. Outside of Esther, one of the greatest examples of this concept is the resurrection story.

Luke 24:1-8 says:
On the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came to the tomb, bringing the spices they had prepared. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb. They went in but did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. While they were perplexed about this, suddenly two men stood by them in dazzling clothes. So the women were terrified and bowed down to the ground. "Why are you looking for the living among the dead?" asked the men. "He is not here, but He has been resurrected! Remember how He spoke to you when He was still in Galilee, saying, 'The Son of Man must be betrayed into the hands of sinful men, be crucified, and rise on the third day’?” And they remembered His words.

This passage came to mind as today I was honored with a graduation party. I received a priceless gift that was hand crafted by Gerry Jamison (see picture). As I was admiring his workmanship I noticed the three nails that stuck out on the cross. Unlike other crosses we see, Jesus is not on this cross. There are just the three nails to remind us of the fact that Jesus died on the cross for our sins but He IS Risen… he is no longer on the cross, he is no longer dead. He is alive!

The work of reconciliation in Rwanda is an example of peripety. Bishop John Rucyahana shares in Bishop of Rwanda the following: With God all things are possible. We are moving beyond the first encounters of victims and perpetrators to a place where people can worship and attend church together. They can sing in the same choirs, shop in the same markets, play together on the same sports teams, and work next to each other on the job…. If they can afford to forgive, why can’t the world forgive?

It is through the power of Jesus Christ that the root of the genocide – hatred has turned to reconciliation. Satan may seek to kill and destroy but Jesus was able to conquer death and it in that fact that we have hope. The power of the cross is the only way to true reconciliation. Bringing people to true repentance and forgiveness can only come through the supernatural power of Christ.

Standing in the Gap

Today I was overwhelmed by the love of those whom God has placed in my life over the past five years. Some I have known the entire time I have been in West Palm Beach, and others I have just met in the last few months. The common thread is they are all people I take delight in and for some reason they seem to like me back which I am grateful.

At the end of the celebration for completing my masters in Pastoral Counseling, I was covered in prayer for my trip to Rwanda. There were many tears shed and the heavy burden on my heart for the people of Rwanda was no longer my burden alone, others now share the burden. Knowing that people will be standing in the gap for me and praying on my behalf, for Rwanda and for the team is such a comfort.

Ephesians 6:18 “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. “

1 comment:

  1. WOW, you know how much I love words and I LOVE 'peripety' and especially the meaning behind it. Such a hopeful post!! I am so excited for you this week as you embark- I wish I could have been at your grad party to celebrate with you but I am celebrating with you and so so so proud of you nonetheless!!!

    ReplyDelete