Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Lesson 1 - Do What You Can Do



We were blessed to meet with the Bishop of Rwanda. Humbled to be in his presence and to learn from him. Although it was a tough read, his book is necessary for all of us to be reminded that evil is present and we must be on guard. We must speak up even when it is not popular, before it is too late. I told him it was the hardest book I have ever had to read and he replied, “it was the hardest book to write”. Thankful for his courage to tell the story filled with so much pain knowing it is the only way beauty can come from the ashes. Truth must be exposed.

Overwhelmed by all the pain, suffering and senselessness of the genocide one wonders “what can I do?”. Bishop John’s responded “do what you can do”. He said “start with something you can do and then trust God will show you what else he wants you to do to help.”

I thought that was great advice and looked forward to figuring out what it was I was meant to do; I was confidant God would make it clear. Interesting enough, by that evening, I knew what I was to do.

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of you with the Bishop. You look like you are close friends, just hanging out. I didn't know if he would have, like, dignitaries around him. He looks so...approachable and relatable. His book must be remarkable....

    ReplyDelete
  2. so powerful- do what you can do! like mother theresa said, if you can't feed 100 feed one. Or be THE One to the one. loving reflecting with you Janelle!

    ReplyDelete