Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Community and Cycling



Blessed to be part of many communities in West Palm Beach. Last year about this time I started cycling at Velocity. Blake was one of the owners and at that time part of my First Impressions Team and he invited me to try Velocity.

Spinning aka “cycling” had been part of my life when I lived in NJ but from the first time I walked into Velocity I felt community. Over this past year I have met wonderful people and have formed a sense of community.

This past weekend people came up to me and gave me money for supplies, medical advice etc to ensure I was ready for Rwanda. The owners Chris and Blake came to my graduation party this weekend and gave me the t-shirt pictured.

Rwanda is in need of community. They are trying to put their communities back together with those who murdered being brought in to help rebuild the houses of those they killed. Community is hard.

Chris in addition to being an owner is also one of my favorite instructors and he is always reminding us in class that we are a team and we need to use the energy in the room to keep us going. We are teammates for the sole purpose of pulling each other through the class. Regardless of where you live, you have the opportunity to be part of the community of Rwanda. We have the responsibility to live out what community should be so we model that for the world. We are to work together, regardless the odds, regardless the circumstances. We are a team.

I have packed the t-shirt and look forward to giving it to someone who is in need of encouragement. In cycling you are in a peloton and you take turns leading to allow everyone the opportunity to rest. I hope to share that vision and bring back that persons picture, post it in Velocity to inspire us. When we ride, we have a team member in Rwanda that is counting on us to encourage them and do our part demonstrating community where we live. We are one community when we are of like mind even though we are on the other side of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment