Sunday, November 27, 2011

Lesson 3 – Count Your Blessings



Continuing where I left off…the handbags. I realized I didn’t share one of the really awesome stories about getting the bags back into the states. Knowing the limit to avoid tax is $800 I knew it was going to be a miracle if I was able to enter back into the US and not have paid duty on the handbags. Avoiding being detained with the belief that the bags were samples/resale would be an even bigger miracle.

My passport is well used specifically with Canada and every one of those entries is for work related to Gap Transportation. So when one declares close to $800 in handbags it would be easy to see why I might get flagged for further discussion.

I was praying and asked those around me to pray that the customs officer would be understanding and that I would have no issue clearing customs. I had primed my camera to have the pictures of the women sewing in case I needed to share the full story.

The customs officer spent time talking about my being on a farm (most of the area outside Kigali qualifies with crops and cattle, goats etc all in one spot) and being in the National Park. He never asked about my bags. He looked at the detail, saw my total was over $800 looked at me and stamped my form and said “Welcome Home.” Knowing I was still on camera I kept it together but had all I could do not to cry. I was praising God inside trying to remain very calm and cool.

That was indeed a blessing and one I do not take for granted.

My second blessing regarding the bags is today Pastor John saw me showing some of the women the bags at church and told me they would fit in perfectly with his Advent Conspiracy Part 2 Message next week. That means any bags I have not received donations by next Sunday will be offered to those at CF City Place in the lobby so they can be part of the story too. I love that the story will be told even more broadly. God is just choosing to delight me in this endeavor.

Getting excited thinking about the women who will now have an opportunity to provide for their family. Women gaining confidence in their abilities; raising their children telling them how God provided the opportunity for school. God’s economy is far greater than our economy!

Constantly reminded God’s blessings are abundant if we take a moment to be still and reflect. I love the Hymn "Count Your Blessings". The chorus says it all: "count your blessings name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord has done.".

1 comment:

  1. I think both of your stories are so amazing. I love that PJ is going to share your story with the church!!! So many more need to hear it. Their hearts will be implicated...how can they not be?? This may even lead to some who hear wanting to come with you to Rwanda next time! This is the pure ADVENTURE of life with God on a daily basis - this is what people need to hear so it draws them towards Christ. You inspire me to just TRUST Him more and more and more.

    ReplyDelete