Monday, January 30, 2012

Lesson 10 from Rwanda – Giving without Sacrifice is Meaningless

The Sunday Pastor John was so kind to let me display my bags for donations, he spoke about sacrificial giving (week 2 Advent Conspiracy). The message was something like, if it doesn't hurt or cost you much, it isn't a sacrifice.I felt God saying, "all the money you receive for the bags is to go to the scholarship, you are not to take out what the bags cost you. What kind of sacrifice are you making in this endeavor if you recover your cost?" We are called to give sacrificially and God was making it clear I had some sacrifices that needed to be made.

Right before Christmas, I took my car in for service. My emergency fund for the year had almost been depleted and the decision to not to replenish the $1000 for the bags kept it next to nothing. Sure enough this was the service appointment that all 4 of my tires needed to be replaced along with 2 of my timing belts. Wow. As I paid that bill, the emergency fund and then some… gone. I had a few moments wishing I could take back my decision about not replenishing my fund for the cost of the bags. God continued to message He was big enough and would work it all out. God reminded me that those in Rwanda don't have an "emergency fund" so what was my issue.

Later that same day, I was given an unexpected check that allowed me to not only deal with the “and then some” from my car service, but it allowed me to fully replenish my emergency fund. Once again God showed His provision and His commitment to the Isaiah 58 project. Oh how I would have grieved if I had received that gift and had chosen prior to replenish my fund vs sacrifice the initial $1000 cost for the bags.

The story gets even better if you can believe it! Cyrus (World Help Director Africa) told me each scholarship was $700. I checked the “Rwanda Isaiah 58 fund” I had set up and I only had $2400 vs. the $2800 needed. I told him I would send the $2800 and that $400 would come from somewhere. I asked him to purchase another 100 bags for me on his upcoming trip end of January. I was getting ready to transfer money out of the emergency fund to cover the bags when I opened my mail to see an insurance credit for some dental work in the figure of $1491 – the amount of money I needed to transfer for the bags and cover the $400 needed for the scholarships.

God’s provision continues to amaze me. Even after years of seeing his faithfulness to me I am still in awe. My lesson is not a new one, and I don’t share this story for any other reason than to encourage you to trust that your Jehovah Jireh – your provider will provide. In God’s economy it may not always be financial, but the one thing I know for sure, when we are obedient, we receive blessings that ultimately allow others to be blessed in the name of Jesus.

Isaiah 58 Scholarship Fund
Pastor Nathan identified 13 women in his congregation he supports for the scholarship fund. He and his assistant took the time to interview each woman who was interested in the scholarship. I am excited that 4 women are now starting vocational school. Cyrus will be sending pictures so stay tuned for future posts. The sad note - there are 9 women still needing scholarships. I have been wrestling with this knowing the 100 bags that Cyrus will bring back mid February will take care of 4 more scholarships but that will still leave 5 women. Not liking this at all; my heart is breaking. God is breaking it because He has made it clear I have a lot to learn in trusting Him to provide beyond my wildest imagination.

More about this in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment