Monday, January 30, 2012

Big Hairy Audacious Prayer

This past Sunday Pastor John (I keep telling him he has to stop being so direct in his preaching of God’s word as I can’t take so much conviction! For those not faint at heart if you live in WPB, Sunday’s at 9, 10:30, 12:12 and 7 pm, you are welcome to join us.) He was teaching about praying big Audacious prayers. It was the last message in the series of Chasing Giants. Using Joshua as an example, he reminded us that Joshua was obedient in doing crazy things like telling the priests to step into the mile wide Jordan in flood stage and have the rest of the Israelites follow as they stood in the middle and marching around Jericho for 7 days that seemed a little strange. He did all this without blinking because he knew his God was AUDACIOUS doing things that he could never have believed or imagined..

Many of us have read Ken Blanchard’s books and one talks about BHAG. So as I was listening I wrote down “what are my big, hairy, audacious prayers (vs goals)” that I need believe that God will do and/or answer?

My Big Hairy Audacious Prayers
Below is what I put down although I was feeling like a loser because I was still not trusting God to be BIG ENOUGH:
1. Provide $6300 to cover the 9 scholarships even though the bags will only bring in $2400.
2. Provide $1000 of seed money to give the school so they could make bags in advance to have inventory so they could sell locally to visitors.

Cyrus called after church to confirm the Western Union Money Transfer for the bags. He asked me to pray about a new need that had been brought to his attention when he arrived in Rwanda. This is where it gets pretty audacious - I am way out of my league.

The Really Big, Bold, Audacious Prayer
Due to lack of feminine hygiene products, girls are missing too many days of school each month and are getting kicked out. Precious girls desiring to learn that are being denied their education because of their monthly flow because there is no good alternative. For the women reading I know we can all identify; imagine trying to figure out another solution that is practical, while wearing a school issued uniform that will keep them from being teased by the boys… next to impossible! These young women need products so they can stay in school - provide a way God!

Cyrus asked me to pray about this so I have said, “God you see my first two requests but this one is so AUDACIOUS. This one is bigger than Rwanda it is all of Africa! I am saying God, you figure it out. I am ready and willing to do what you tell me to do. First thing God said was “get your Audacious prayers in the blog so others can pray with you and I can start answering these prayers through you and others.”

Believe God will Give Wisdom
I am memorizing James with my Bible Study Girls as we took the Beth Moore Challenge in her “James –Mercy Triumphs” Study. Last night I was working James 1:1-8. I was hit hard as I worked “but when you ask for wisdom you must believe and not doubt….. (The one who doubts) should not expect to receive any good thing from the Lord. Such a person is double- minded and unstable in all they do.”

When I am praying audacious prayers I am also asking for wisdom and direction. Coming boldly before him I must BELIEVE He will give wisdom. He will provide a way if it is His will. The thought of being seen as double-minded and unstable puts me over the edge, not two words I want associated with my name.

Confident in God’s economy none of these prayers are audacious to him but I come before him saying “I BELIEVE He will give wisdom generously to me”. “DO IT LORD”!


Stay tuned and join me in praying AUDACIOUS prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment