Saturday, December 24, 2011

Mission Possible: Handbags for Scholarships




Praising God at current moment over $2200 is set to go to the Blessed Mango Tree “Vocational School Scholarship Fund”. Thrilled that the demand for the bags leaves many now on a waiting list until I get my next order. Yes, I did just say my next order. Trusting God to work out the details and logistics to get another shipment. My mother lost out on her bag when I let someone else purchase it (does that make me a bad daughter that I sold the bag to someone else?). Thankful she has already forgiven me and is fine to wait and have first pick of the next order.

God’s economy and his ways and paths are infinite. We cannot even begin to understand or operate even close to his level! Thankful for the unexpected opportunity I had to tell my story with a display at church. Donations for over half the bags came from that day or follow up from seeing or hearing about the bags that Sunday. Thankful for a Pastor whose heart breaks for the things that break Jesus’ heart and desires to teach us how to respond. Thankful for his teaching in the moment how we can make a difference through our giving.

Cyrus is letting Pastor Nathan know that $2200 is coming his way in a newly formed scholarship account to use to help the women of his church. I look forward to sharing the stories and pictures of the women who are able to attend the school. I know we will be inspired by their lives and in turn we will be inspired to do things that challenge us. My hope is we will continue to encourage them through prayer and contribute to sewing machines for them when they graduate next year.

This is just a small portion of the story and there is more to come including how you can contribute ongoing to the fund (thank you Cyrus for working to set up a fund through WorldHelp). Praising God that through many acts of kindness and obedience at least 3 women will be able to enroll in school the beginning of the year. Just 35 days after I returned from Rwanda with 100 handbags, we have begun to make a difference by “doing what we can do”.

Pictures of the hangtag on the bags are attached. If anyone would like to formally design a hangtag to be used on all future bags – please let me know.

Isaiah 61:1-3
The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.

No comments:

Post a Comment