Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lesson 6 – A Bike isn’t Just for Riding






I love to ride my bike around West Palm Beach and it is a great way to run errands and just enjoy the surroundings and offerings of South Florida. My favorite things about my bike – it's purple and has a basket in the front. It is a great bike for just getting around town and riding the bike trail.

I was struck time and time again in Rwanda as I saw people with bikes. Often times those with a bike were using it to haul things or people. They rarely used their bike for a short jaunt around town. They even have bike taxis and most bikes have a second seat that serves many purposes.

Most people in Rwanda walk as it doesn’t cost money to walk. The reason people are carrying things on their heads, babies on their backs is so they have their hands free to carry more things. Usually where they are going is not a short walk.

Owning a bike is a luxury. Many families will save 4-5 years to get a bike that would cost $150. That time line is modest as if something happens in their family, there goes the money saved. Speaking with the owner of the transportation company we were with, he shared a bike transforms an entire family. He stated men gain confidence when they get a bike as they now have a means to be more productive and earn more for their family.

A bike will be what the family and potentially their neighbors use to get someone medical care; get to school, work, etc. Just imagine if you had to walk to your current job from where you live, would you be able to hold that job? Now vision riding a bike to that job, it seems much more doable.

I love to ride outside and I also love to cycle (aka spin) at Velocity. In one of my pre-trip posts, I shared I was going to look for someone to give my velocity shirt to that would be encouraged that we were riding with him/her.

Martin is a survivor of the genocide and was 5 years old at the time. His sister also survived so he is not alone like so many of the orphans. He is 22 years old and is blessed to be in school because someone has chosen to support him from the US. When I met Martin at Hope Village (community for genocide orphans who are over 18) he helped translate for me as the woman I was with did not speak English or French. He shared that when he graduates from University he wants to help other orphans.

Martin exuded a commitment to love and care for those that like he is fatherless from an earthly perspective. Martin has big dreams, is bright and I know will do many great things for his country and for those who are broken in spirit and feel hopeless.When I left, I gave Martin the velocity t-shirt as well as a promise that he would receive a bike to allow him to be more productive as he goes through school allowing him to potentially earn money as well to ensure his schooling continues. I was delighted to present someone that gift already that in their honor Martin a man who will do great things for God will have a bike because of them.

I am not a number person so when a number comes into my head, it is usually from God. My goal is to rally support for a minimum of 10 bikes to be given to various orphans at the Hope Village allowing Pastor Maurice who oversees to determine who would benefit most. I have shared with Cyrus if Pastor Maurice sees a greater need for a bike elsewhere in his parish then we of course trust his wisdom.

Would you join me in changing a life and ultimately a family? Cyrus Mad-Bondo is the Director of Africa for WorldHelp (www.worldhelp.net) accompanied us on the trip. He is committed to getting pictures of of those students and bikes as accountability as well as be able to share the story about how the bike is making a difference in their life. I will blog all updates. I can’t wait to share the stories!

A great family gift for Christmas or for any occasion is to give a bike in someone’s honor letting them know that they have not only changed a life, they have changed the economic outlook of a family for generations to come. The bikes purchased will look like the ones in the pictures above but will be top of the line ensuring they will last long and survive the punishing roads of Rwanda.

If you would like to donate a bike in someone’s honor please do the following:
• Write a check for $150
• Make the check out to World Help
• In the memo line write Bike for Rwanda.
• Send to: World Help attn. Cyrus Mad-Bondo, PO Box 501, Forest, VA 24551

God continues to teach me about sacrifice. It is easy to give out of abundance, but what am I willing to give up? When I think about the precious lives that could be transformed if I packed lunch every day or didn't get my Panera iced tea every day and put that money in a bike fund, how many bikes could I buy this year? Packing a lunch isn’t even that big of a sacrifice (the iced tea is though) so there will be more digging in to come but I hope you will join me in reflecting and asking what is it you can do. It goes back to the Bishop of Rwanda’s advice – “do what you can do”.

If I came back from Rwanda no different than before I left, and if my actions were no different than before, what was the value of the trip? Continuing to ask God to challenge me, stretch me and force me to see things in a new way. As I finish this, I am already sensing God say “what will you specifically sacrifice Janelle in 2012 that will allow you personally to raise money for 10 bikes.” Ouch…stay tuned; I write this so I remain accountable to share what that sacrifice is and the journey to raising money for those 10 bikes out of sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment